Wednesday, May 6, 2009

What a bridge

I am reading a book called The Great Bridge. It is the true story about the construction of the Brooklyn bridge. Did you know that bridge is over 100 years old and was built using very primitave steam engines? Also, did you know that when this bridge was built, it's towers were the tallest structures in New York?

Anyways, I came across a couple paragraphs that made a lot of sense to me. Most of the people I hang out with are extremely interested in history, politics, or both. I am interested in these things as well, but not in the same way they are. My main interest is with science and technology. I have said, over and over again, that I cant take part in politics because I dont feel like I have a real option. In my opinion I can choose a liar, or a liar.

Here's a little bit from this book. It sums my thoughts up pretty good. This is an article written by Thomas Kinsella for an old Brooklyn newspaper called the Eagle. It was written after John Roeblings death. Roebling designed the bridge, then died before construction began. His son took over after his death. In his day he was one of the most famous Americans alive.

"The great boast of this land," he wrote, "is twofold - the political works of the [Founding] Fathers, and the material triumphs of science, of which Roebling was, with scarcely an exception, the greatest hero." But the politician of the present, he went on, was nothing more than "a thing of tricks and dodges." About all the modern-day politician could do was to undo "the grand creation of former days." The politician's words and deeds were as nothing, he said, when compared to the works of a man like John A. Roebling.
"One such life as Roebling's was worth more than those of a whole convention full of jabbering and wrangling politicians." Concerning politicians, Kinsella could speak with some authority, his Brooklyn readers knew, for he was one himself.

Friends, do yourselves a favor and read this book. History buffs, policial buffs, or just avid readers. This is one of the best books I have read in years.


.

2 comments:

Tim Glenn said...

you would...

It's like modern marvels in paperback

The Crippes King said...

I read a little something about this book in a recent Newsweek. Apparently they want to erect some type of building near the bridge, and some people are upset that it will block the view of such a modern marvel.

As far as politics is concerned, I have a response to all of that. It would take me a long time to write out, so perhaps we'll have to find a corner in Junior's and get into it.

In any event, I will probably check this book out after the one I'm reading now. If you're intrigued by science and technology, and you have an interest in the history and politics surrounding it, I just read The Invention of Air by Steven Johnson. If you enjoy that paragraph you've quoted, then that book is something I think you'd enjoy.